By Saving Our Planet savingourplanet.net
26 June 2017
- You Decide. What sort of World do you want for you, your family, for your children, your grandchildren and for wildlife? Because most people want things as they are or better. And if possible to provide a better life for their children and their children’s children. And to protect wild animals. The problem is all hopes are at risk of being derailed by climate change. The fact is that to date there is no plan to achieve the agreed 2oC limit to global warming, so as a result we are at risk of 4oC of global warming. As a result, we are at risk of catastrophic climate change: rising sea levels, both flooding and extreme heat and droughts, leading to parts of the world becoming uninhabitable, crop failures, and tens of millions of climate refugees – which may wreck the futures of your children, the planet, and all wild animals. Global warming of 4oC also risks triggering further global warming such as the release of methane currently frozen in permafrost, which could cause unpredictable and irreversible changes to our planet.
- Be aware of your CO2. Because CO2 is causing Global Warming, which is causing climate change. World leaders agreed in Paris in December 2015 to to limit global warming to 2oC. To hit this 2oC target will require big reductions in CO2 so that by around 2050, the World achieves Net Zero CO2 emissions – ie the CO2 we emit is in balance with the rate at which CO2 can be absorbed naturally by the trees and oceans: Check out this from Saving Our Planet: 5 Facts Everyone Needs to Know About Climate Change. See https://demo.savingourplanet.net/index.php/2017/06/25/saving-planet-5-facts-must-know-climate-change/
- How much CO2 is in that? If people are to reduce their CO2, then people need to understand more about the CO2 element of what they buy, and how much CO2 they create. We each create CO2. How much depends where you live: in the UK we each create around 9 Tonnes per year, in the US around 20 Tonnes per year, and in rural Africa eg Kenya around 5 Tonnes. It is the responsibility to deal with this. Air travel is extra. For example, an Economy Class return flight for one person from the UK to Rome is around 0.25 Tonnes, to New York is around 1 Tonne of CO2 return, and to the Far East around 2 Tonnes per person.
- Its your CO2: Stop what you can. Compensate for what you can’t. Its our CO2, so it is up to each of us to deal with this. There is no point in creating CO2 unnecessarily and wastefully, so we should each do what we can to stop CO2 including reduce, reuse, recycle, and take fewer flights. What’s the easiest way to compensate for your CO2? Saving Our Planet are launching N0CO2 – an exciting campaign so everyone to join in to fight climate change: remove your CO2, reach out to others, and join in. See www.n0co2.org
- Involve others. What CO2 you can reduce yourself is good. But if you reach out and inform and inspire others, then you can make a much bigger impact on climate change. See n0co2.org
- Teach yourself climate change: about the situation, risks, scenarios, solutions, and the way forward:
The real truth about climate change. See: savingourplanet.net
Climate change Videos. See: https://theclimatecinema.org
- Ask for the low CO2 option. We are all consumers. We each make decisions every day about energy use: in the home, for the community, or at work. Its time for us to make a difference: Always ask for low/No CO2 option. For example: your Energy Suppliers, Travel agents and Airlines – do they offer schemes to compensate for your CO2?
- Support the shift away from high CO2 emitting coal, oil and gas, which currently provides around 80% of the world’s energy, to low/no CO2 alternatives such as energy from the the sun, wind, hydro, waves, plants, underground heat and also from nuclear if necessary to hit the 2oC target. See https://demo.savingourplanet.net/index.php/solutions/
- Support measures to prevent the release of CO2, and to increase the CO2 we remove from the air. It is important for us to support the regulation of CO2 emissions, to preventing the destruction of rainforests, to protect the Arctic and Antarctic and all habitats. And to plant more trees, particularly to re-establish areas that we previously forested.
- Support action by others who are fighting climate change. There are lots of organisations and businesses who are also taking action to fight climate change, with new products and services which reduce and remove CO2 being released all the time. Others are supporting research into new forms of energy, into improving energy efficiency, and into Carbon Capture and Storage. What is important is that these need our support, even if they are a bit more expensive, because until well established they are at risk from incumbent but higher CO2 existing businesses.
Are you concerned about climate change? N0CO2is an initiative of Saving Our Planet which has been designed to make it easy for you to take action to fight climate change. N0CO2 includes compensating to remove your CO2 from the air, makes it easy for you to reach out to others, and to join in and be part of a movement dedicated to people across the World all working together to fight climate change. This will be launching later in 2017. Email us at email@example.com to register to receive further information about N0CO2.
Will you help us?
Contact us at : firstname.lastname@example.org
Saving Our Planet provides essential information, training and videos about climate change – the real truth about climate change. savingourplanet.net